Friday, January 15, 2016

LBCC Board Games Club

the Board Games Club meets every Monday at noon in Mackenzie Hall room 118

For any students interested in some small-scale cardboard conflict, LBCC has its own board game club.

Started last winter by current representatives Ryan Lance and Taylor Megy, the Board Games Club meets every Monday at noon in Mackenzie Hall room 118.  Both Lance and Megy assert that the genesis of the club was a mix of passion for the hobby, and an inspirational level of "Lord of the Rings" geekdom.

As Lance tells it, “Early on, we weren’t sure about opening the club, so I took a bunch of stuff from Aragorn’s motivational speech in "Lord of the Rings" and sent it to Taylor in an email,” proving once and for all that no challenge is too great for the words of Tolkien.

“We just love board games,” said Megy, citing "Settlers of Catan" as one of his preferences, “and we just want our members to have fun.”

The founders have said that they originally created the Board Games Club as a way for LBCC students to get some much-needed relaxation during the more difficult periods of the semester. Sure enough, it has proven to be an excellent stress reliever for its members.

“It’s a really easy way to unwind at school. That’s why I come to club,” said longtime member Rob Lochbaum, “also, there’s snacks, and it’s free.”

Though "Settlers of Catan" and the card game "Bang!" are most frequently played, the club founders are always looking for new and interesting games, and encourage new members to bring along their favorites.

“A big part of this club is trying new things. There are so many new games I have learned about just from coming to board games club,” Lance said. 

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this blog article! I liked it because I didn't know anything about the club and I love Settlers of Catan!I thought the way you wrote was so funny and ironic, and I enjoyed the way you presented information. I think I would suggest you write just a little bit about how their meetings typically go and how many people are there. As a follow up I would suggest that you maybe see if they have some sort of tournament coming up or a cool event? If not, maybe he could do kind of what I said in #3 and outline a club meeting. I think this club sounds really cool, and I'm sure they liked what you wrote about them.

    ReplyDelete