Friday, October 16, 2015

PERSUASIVE TECHNIQUES

                I’m pretty ignorant at the moment when it comes to currently running advertisements. You see, because I installed ad-blocker and DVR TV shows, the only ads I can remember seeing in the last few months are film trailers at movie theaters. For this reason, I will precede to bitch about a kid’s movie, and let you know why the new James Bond trailer makes me wish I was born British.

Most convincing argument I've found in favor of global warming.

                No joke, I only saw this trailer because the theater I watched The Martian in, messed up and accidentally showed the previews that play before Hotel Transylvania 2. It’s sad to know that the only reason I’m aware of this movie’s existence, is likely the result of some mistake made by a teenager getting paid minimum wage. The film’s called Norm of the North, and the trailer pisses me off way more than it probably should. It features incredibly unfunny non-jokes, ugly and awkward animation (the voices don’t even sync up to the mouth movements for god’s sake), and a main character voiced by Rob Schneider. I’ll let that last one sink in. I suppose the target audience for this trailer is little kids, but I think the filmmakers forgot that children don’t buy movie tickets. If I was a parent I would try to keep my kid as far away from this movie as humanly possible. I hear the moon is pretty nice this time of year. I’m not even close to the only one with this opinion either. The YouTube comments section for the trailer is filled with people ranting about how bad it is. My only hope is that the moon isn’t too crowded by the time I get there. It’s an example of an ad attempting humor, but failing so severely that it turns into irritation before the ad even ends.

More of the same. The same meaning good.

                Now, I’m going to cleanse my palate by discussing the trailer for the new 007 movie, SPECTRE, and explain why it kicks a tremendous amount of ass. The plot of the film is, who gives a shit, helicopter corkscrew stunt. Okay, maybe that’s not entirely fair, but it’s rare that an action movie can show me something I’ve never seen before. I don’t even care if it’s CGI, it 31 different flavors of awesome. Anyway, back on topic. The trailer debuted in July, and if memory serves me right played before movies like Ant-Man and Mission Impossible. The target audience is apparently fans of action movies but that’s pretty much most movie goers now, so it seems to be preaching to the choir in that regard. The important thing the trailer does is let the audience know the movie is coming out soon, and to keep that knowledge fresh in people’s minds come release date. As far as persuasive techniques go, it kind of tells a story, or at least hints at one. I’m not sure which technique applies to “you’re probably going to see this anyway, here’s an explosion”.

No comments:

Post a Comment